Not interested in sales roles because you don’t want to cold call people? Sales opportunities go far beyond reaching out to strangers on the phone. Working in sales allows you to gain strong professional skills that provide a valuable foundation upon which to build your marketing career.
From outside sales and inside sales to business development and customer solutions, there are so many opportunities to gain sales experience beyond what you might initially picture when you think of sales. There are many benefits to starting your career in sales, including:
- Opportunity to work directly with the clients/customers you will be marketing to later, providing deeper insights into their needs, what matters to them, and how they interact with the product/service.
- A chance to increase your interpersonal communication, active listening, and presentation skills through client meetings and pitch presentations.
- Access to Sales Leadership Development Programs which are structured programs aimed to grow you as a professional through mentorship, with a clear path to promotions, resources, and peer support.
- Ability to grow your professional network and strengthen your networking skills.
- Sales experience that is a highly valued addition to your marketing resume that will open doors to future opportunities.
Review the resources below to learn more about different types of sales careers and reach out to your Career Coach to discuss your findings and thoughts on what could be a beneficial fit for you.